I wasn’t able to watch the National Geographic Channel’s “Secrets of the Virgin Queen” but many people have contacted me to let me know what “secrets” it looked at. It sounds like it was a programme concentrating on the salacious rumours and myths that surround Elizabeth and her personal life – can’t they come up with anything new?! Anyway, here are a few articles I have written on these very subjects:-
- The Bisley Boy – Did the real Elizabeth Tudor die and get replaced with a boy?
- Elizabeth I – A Virago, Genetically Male or Simply a Strong Woman? – Did Elizabeth have some kind of condition to explain why she never married and to explain her character?
- The Arthur Dudley Myth – Did Elizabeth and Dudley have an illegitimate child?
- The Case of Amy Robsart: A Tudor Whodunnit – I’ve written a few articles on Amy’s death and the rumours of Robert Dudley’s involvement and we’ve also had plenty of debate on it here.
- Why Didn’t Elizabeth Marry? – Looking at the various possible reasons for Elizabeth remaining the Virgin Queen
- Elizabeth, Seymour and Shakespeare – Was Elizabeth I Shakespeare’s mother? Did Thomas Seymour father her illegitimate child? And such poppycock!
Do let me know what else it covered and why you think they keep regurgitating the old rumours. Have we become a generation of people who like nothing better than celebrity gossip and scandal? I don’t think so.